The Exploration of the Hwaseong Fortress
– UNESCO World Heritage: Andong Hahoe Folk Village
– Date: 18 November 2017 (Saturday)
– Location: Suwon City, Gyeonggi Province
– Contents: It is the world’s first planned city and it is a tour of the UNESCO World Heritage “Suwon Hwaseong”, which is a collection of outstanding architecture, science and artistry in the late Joseon dynasty and attract foreigners’ interest in Korean culture through ‘Tightage walking’ performance of the intangible cultural heritage of humanity, which is accompanied by acrobats and clowns who accompany the accompaniment of the musicians.
|DAY 1||~ 09:00||∙ Meeting and Departure||KTO Seoul Center|
|09:20 ~ 10:50||∙ Seoul → Suwon||Hwaseong Fortress|
|10:50 ~ 11:30||∙ 24 Martial Arts Performance||Hwaeseong Haenggung
|11:40 ~ 12:40||∙ Lunch||Galbi-tang|
|12:40 ~ 12:50||∙ Kyungunbogung → Hwaseong Haenggung|
|12:50 ~ 14:00||∙ Hwaseong Haenggung|
- Tour Review Contest Guide
- Write FOUR or more reviews on your social media accounts and
on the UNESCO Heritage Tour website after enjoying this tour. We will choose FIVE best reviewers and give a prize!
- Contest Period: 18 ~ 26 November (KST 24:00)
- How to Participate:
1) Write tour reviews on social media (4 or more)
- Topics: Hwaseong Fortress, Haenggung Street, Jultagi,
and Suwon Hwaseong 3D Puzzle (souvenir)
※ Must write at least 1 review for each topic
- Format: Free format, MUST hashtag
(#UNESCOKOREA #HwaseongFortress #Hwaseong #Haenggung)
2) Sign up for UNESCO KOREA website (http://heritageinkorea.kr)
and write 1 or more reviews on the [FORUM] section.
3) Apply a tour review contest to (firstname.lastname@example.org)
(Name, Nationality, Review URLs, Captured Image)
- Winners Announcement: 28 November 2017 (Tuesday)
- Announcement Site: UNESCO KOREA website (pop up) and individual contact
Must read information before participating in this program
- 화성[Hwaseong Fortress]
Suwon Hwaseong Fortress was constructed by king Jeongjo (reigning 1777~1800), the 22nd king of Joseon dynasty (1392-1910) after moving the tomb of his father Sadoseja, There were multiple reasons for constructing the Suwon Hwaseong Fortress. The most important reason was King Jeongjo’s filial piety to his father. But, there were other reasons: his political strategy to eradicate faction struggles and establish the king-led politics; use of it as a fortress of national defense to the south.
Especially, the fortress, the result of the fortress construction technologies of the East and the West based on sufficient researches and meticulous plans, is very important in the respect of architectural history.
- 화성행궁[Hwaseong Haenggung]
A haenggung is a temporary palace where the king and royal family retreated to during a war. Hwaseong Haenggung Palace is the largest one of these, use by the Joseon kings since the time of King Jeongjo (r. 1776-1800).In addition to being used as a shelter during war, King Jeongjo also stayed here during trips to worship at his father’s tomb. The palace was the location of a splendid feast held on the 60th birthday of his mother, Hyegyeonggung Hong, and many other events, including award certificates for successful candidates of special national exams.
King Jeongjo built the new Suwon city, and constructed the city fortress. He had several haenggungs built in major stops on his way to the tomb. Among them, Hwaseong Hanggung was outstandingly the best in its scale and functions.
- 무예24기[24 Martial Arts]
24 Martial Arts(Muye 24 Gi) is the 24 martial art techniques contained in the Muye Dobo Tongji which was compiled by silhak scholars Lee Deok-mu and Park Jae-ga, and expert of martial art Baek dong-su as they were asked by King Jeongjo to do so. 24 Martial Arts were what the soldiers at the Oiyeong of Jangyongyeong, the best troop in contemporary Joseon, practiced. It is a cultural heritage high in value in artistic and athletic as well as historical senses. Soldiers stationed in Bukgunyeong, or North Military Camp, and Namgunyeong, or south Military Camp, practiced the techniques to effectively protect the haenggung. With the restoration of Hwaseong Haenggung, there is the event where the 24 techniques of martial art, which contain healthy gestures and active personalities of the Korean people, are demonstrated.