Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity
Taekkyeon, a Traditional Korean Martial Art
– UNESCO World Heritage: Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity, Taekkyeon
– Date: 23 September 2017 (Saturday)
– Location: Chungju City, Chungcheongbuk-do Province
– Contents: Through the experience of the World Intangible Cultural Heritage, Taekkyeon, explore about the elegance of Korean traditional martial art and learn about the traditional martial arts around the world by visiting the Chungju World Martial Arts Festival.
– What to Prepare: camera, comfortable outfit and umbrella in case of rain
– Souvenir for all the participants
– Time and Place of Meeting: In front of the Korea Tourism Organization Seoul Center (40, Cheonggyecheon-ro, Jung-gu, Seoul)
– Public Transportation: 100m from Exit 5 Jonggak Station Line 1 / 200m from Exit 2 Euljiro 1-ga Station Line 2
|Day1||08:40 ~ 09:00||∙ Meeting and Departure|
|09:00 ~ 11:30||∙ Seoul → Chungju|
|11:30 ~ 12:30||∙ Lunch (JangAn Farm)||Organic Vegetarian Buffet|
|12:30 ~ 13:00||∙ Move to Chungju Taekkyeon Training Center|
|13:00 ~ 15:20||∙ Taekkyeon Performances & Learning||택견 전수자|
|15:20 ~ 15:40||∙ Move to
Chungju World Martial Arts Park
|15:40 ~ 16:40||∙ Explore Chungju World
Martial Arts Festival
|16:40 ~ 19:00||∙ Chungju → Seoul|
- Tour Review Contest Guide
- Write three or more reviews on your social media channels and on UNESCO Heritage Tour website after enjoying this tour. We will choose six best reviewers and give a prize!
- Contest Period: 23 September ~ 9 October (KST 23:59)
- How to Participate:
1) Write tour reviews on one’s social media channels (3 or more)
– Topics: Taekkyeon and Chungju World Martial Arts Festival
Must write at least 1 review for each topic
– Format: Free format, MUST hashtag
(#UNESCOKOREA #Taekkyeon #Chungju)
2) Sign up for UNESCO KOREA website (http://heritageinkorea.kr)
and write 1 or more reviews on the [FORUM] section.
3) Apply a tour review contest to (firstname.lastname@example.org)
(Name, Nationality, Review URLs, Captured Image)
- Prize: Busan OneAsia Festival Opening Ceremony Tickets (1 ticket per 1 person)
- Winners Announcement: 11 October, 2017 (WED)
- Announcement Site: UNESCO KOREA website (pop up) and individual contact
Must read information before participating in this program
- 택견 (Taekkyeon, a traditional Korean martial art)
Taekkyeon is a traditional Korean martial art that makes use of fluid, rhythmic dance-like movements to strike or trip up an opponent. The graceful movements of a well-trained Taekkyeon performer are gentle and circular rather than straight and rigid, but can explode with enormous flexibility and strength. The feet play as important a role as the hands. In spite of its gentle impression, Taekkyeon is an effective martial art highlighting a broad variety of offensive and defensive skills employing all available fighting methods. It also teaches consideration: a skilled Taekkyeon practitioner can rapidly dominate an opponent, but a true master knows how to make an opponent withdraw without incurring damage. As a part of seasonal farming-related traditions, Taekkyeon serves to facilitate community integration, and as a sport accessible to all plays a major role in promoting public health. Taekkyeon is also practiced by a great number of people as a daily activity. There are approximately fifty recognized practitioners of Taekkyeon at present, and the Korean Taekkyeon Association plays a significant role in the transmission and promotion of this traditional martial art.
- 세계무술공원 (Chungju World Martial Arts Park)
Chungju World Martial Arts Park is the place where Chungju World Martial Arts Festival is held every autumn since 1998. The Chungju World Martial Arts Festival is the world’s only martial arts festival sponsored by UNESCO, Taekkyeon and other martial arts professionals from all around the world gather for a variety of events under the theme ‘Encounter of world martial arts and culture.’Chungju World Martial Arts Park has promenade trails and bicycle roads along the banks of the South Han River that boast beautiful scenery. There is a soccer field with artificial grass next to the main gate of the park, making it a good place for sports and leisure activities. Inside the park, there are facilities such as the World Martial Arts Museum, Lava Land, which is a children’s play facility, an outdoor performance hall, a senior park, a stone maze circle.
- 충주세계무술축제 (Chungju World Martial Arts Festival)
Chungju is the heart of glorious Jungwon culture and at the same time the center of the Korean Peninsula. As the birthplace of Taekkyeon that is state-designated important intangible cultural property and was listed as a UNESCO intangible cultural heritage of humanity, Chungju has become a mecca of martial arts along with Chungju World Martial Arts Festival which the world martial arts and culture get joined together in good harmony.Under the theme of the ‘Encounter of world martial arts and culture’, the domestic and foreign martial arts teams having high standard including 55 members from 39 countries, member organizations of World Martial Arts Union will participate in Chungju World Martial Arts Festival that UNESCO has supported for 5 years running to show a variety of martial arts performances and provide visitors themselves with an opportunity to experience or learn martial arts, which makes the festival more exciting.